Monday, October 8, 2012

Under House Arrest

Some days I feel like I am under house arrest.  For the past six months I have barely left the house.  It all started in mid-April when I went on bed rest.  For three months, the only times I left the house were for doctor's appointments and the seldom escape from the house for a special occasion.  Since the babies were born, it hasn't changed.  I rarely leave the house.  I go to our Bible study group on Sunday nights, I occasionally drop Ben off or pick him up from school when I don't have help lined up, and I sometimes make rare escapes from the house by myself to run errands or go on a date with Derek.

In the beginning, we had to protect the babies fragile immune systems.  Premature babies are more susceptible to illness.  When Chase and Tyler were released from the NICU we were advised to not take them out around a lot of people for 6-8 weeks.  So we decided to keep them at home until they were two months old.  Well, now they are three months old and we still haven't taken them out of the house accept to the doctor's office.  Why? The logistics of taking three babies any where is difficult.  It's a lot of work to load up three babies.  Up until recently, I haven't had the energy to do it.  It has taken some time for me to rebuild my energy after being on bed rest for three months, recovering from surgery, all the while taking care of 4 children and getting up in the middle of the night for the last three months.  Now, I am itching to get out of the house.

I want to get them out, but I also realize I have to be smart about it.  October is the beginning of RSV season.  I will have to be extra careful so that I keep them healthy.  The last thing I want to do is have three sick babies.  There has to be a way to find a good balance of getting them out of the house while keeping them healthy.  I think it will be good for all of us to start getting out of the house.  I am ready to get back to life as we knew it.


No comments:

Post a Comment