Friday, September 14, 2012

Fraternal or Identical ?


One of the questions we have had from the beginning is if the triplets are identical or fraternal?  While I was pregnant the ultrasounds seemed to show that each baby had its own sack and placenta, but they always told me they would know more after they were born.  During the c-section my doctor told us they would test the placenta(s) to determine if they were identical or fraternal.  When I went for my postpartum check-up he looked over the report.  The results: inconclusive.  All the report told us was each baby had its own placenta.  Fraternal and identical multiples can have their own placentas depending on when the egg splits.  We are pretty sure Chase is fraternal.  He seems to be different in every way.  His cry, personality, hair, skin, size and overall look is different from the other two. Ryan and Tyler at times look very much alike, but have different birth marks.  Tyler has white spots in his hair and Ryan has a birthmark on his left leg.  For this reason we never had to use nail polish to keep track of their identity as planned.  I can tell Ryan and Tyler apart pretty easily, but more often than I would like to admit I will briefly confuse one for the other.  We were told to ask our pediatrician about their blood types to help us find out.  If they happen to have different blood types, they would be fraternal.  The Pediatrician only had documentation of Ryan's blood type and not Tyler's.  So long story short....we still do not know if they are identical. If I had to guess, I would say they are all fraternal.  We could have DNA testing if we chose to do so, but in the end it doesn't matter one way or the other.  We love them all just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment